Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Seeking Malaysians with US Masters or PhDs

Doing this as a favor for a friend who is doing her PhD in Kentucky. Please see below and see if you can help her out.

Re: Seeking Malaysians for PhD research

My name is Pauline Chhooi and I am a Ph.D. candidate majoring in Educational Policy Studies and Evaluation at the University of Kentucky. I am writing to ask for your help in my dissertation research that that will look at how a journey to a foreign land to pursue a graduate degree might trigger more than just the attainment of that degree. I propose to look at how higher education contributes to understanding the immigration of highly-educated individuals, the push-pull factors for remaining (in the USA) or returning (to Malaysia), and the effects on the government and especially individuals.

For my dissertation project, I am seeking Malaysians (including those who are now PR or naturalized U.S. citizens), age between 23 and 50, who have already earned an American masters (i.e. M.A., M.Sc., etc.), doctoral (i.e. Ed.D., JD, Ph.D., etc.) or terminal professional degree (i.e. MBA, MD, law degree), currently working/living in the U.S. or in Malaysia on a permanent basis (i.e. not on official overseas work assignments or as visitors/stay-home parents are considered).

The project will involve a one-hour interview which will be done face-to-face OR over the phone OR via Instant Messaging (IM chat or voice), depending on the convenience and location. All I need is to ask you a few questions about the your decision-making process and how you come about to choose where you live now (ie. remained in the USA after your studies, or returned to Malaysia after your studies or after a few years of working in the USA, etc.).

Your participation in the study is voluntary and your responses will be kept confidential. You may decline to answer specific questions or end your participation at any time by letting me know. Although the
interview will be audio-recorded, all information will be reported in a form that does not identify you. You will be given an Informed Consent Form which will provide more details about this study before you begin.

If you would like to help me in my study, OR know someone who could, please contact me at pchhooi@uky.edu. Also, if you have questions about this study, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you in advance....hope to hear from you!

Pauline Chhooi

University of Kentucky


Yahoo IM: paulinechhooi

No comments:

Post a Comment